There’s jobs at sea but you need to know your stuff
With a coastline in excess of 2 500 kms, and some of the finest fishing on the planet, it makes sense that South Africans consider a career at sea. But it can be a dangerous place and it’s critical that you’re properly qualified to work on the uncompromising oceans.
Sea Safety Training Group (SSTG) is one of the leaders when it comes to the training and certification of on-board personnel, a reputation they jealously guard. Chief executive Leon Mouton believes it’s about more than just the certificate: every person they train must go to sea with the knowledge and skills to perform their duties safely and efficiently. To this end they have introduced on-board training to complement what’s taught in the classroom.
If you do not meet the entry requirements at University to study, then SSTG is the place for you to further your studies in a career at sea. Our range of qualifications will help you get that opportunity you are looking for.
While anchored on training, SSTG offers a wide variety of marine-related services. These include:
• Maritime risk services, that includes a Safety Management Systems, Electronic compliance systems such as FLAGS and TOM as well as compliance audits
• Consultancy services
• Fire watch, Tank Guards and Safety watch
• Special development programmes and management thereof
• And a host of learner support services.
On the training front SSTG provide a comprehensive offering from their various bases at St Helena Bay, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, Mossel Bay and Durban. The courses cover:
• Basic safety
• Fire Fighting Induction
• Electronic Navigation Systems
• First Aid Level 1, 2 and 3.
• Advanced ancillary courses for firefighting and medical
• SRC, LRC, GMDSS and Communication
• Various Master Coastal, and Fishing Skipper Qualifications
• Ratings such as AB Engine and Deck as well as Efficient Cook.
• Engineering Officers
• Small vessels, such as those required by leisure boaters and Commercial vessels.
All of SSTG’s services are now available on a handy Android app that can be downloaded from Google Play Store.
For more information on SSTG’s offering please visit them in the marquee at the Boat Show or www.sstg.co.za